Subject: Re: TUTORIALS
From: Jason Nugent
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:34:16 +0100

Hey Poet (cool name, by the way),

The way I have managed to do a blur effect is to create a symbol
that I want to blur (text in this case), and place two instances of it on
two different layers. I put them about 20 pixels apart. They start off
at 0% alpha channel (fully transparent). I then tween them so they each
move towards one another, each coming in 10 pixels. At the second
keyframe, they are both 100% alpha (completely visible), and over top of
each other. This gives the effect of the text 'fading in'. At this
point I create another layer and place a static version of the the text
directly over top of the other two. Then, to simulate the fade out, I
take the two layers that where blurred in, and do the same thing on the
way out, but do it vertically.
I put together a really quick example of what I mean at

http://tuweb.ucis.dal.ca/~unix0410/test-blur.html

so you can decide if that is what you wanted. It is just a text
sentence fading in and fading out, over and over again in a loop so you
can watch it.

I hope this helps,

Jason

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Thepoet wrote:
> By the way, may I ask you a question?
> How does one make the text blur?
> and/like Gabo make it move off to one side, in segments (on the later I
> would guess he has made several layers of text, 1 layer per line, then he
> has each move off in a delayed sequence.
> And I would also like to know how one blurs text...again I assume its down
> with layers somehow...
> your kind words of info would be greatly appreciated by all.
> cheers.
>
> p.s. I can offer you some royalty free sound effects from my collection as a
> thank you.
> .

Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons)
ap958atchebucto [dot] ns [dot] ca "Beneath this canvas monochrome
Certified Webmaster Wrapped in the shroud of this grey home
I'll paint a picture all my own
I'll paint a picture"
Live to ride,
Ride to Live. -Anacrusis