Subject: Re: Distinguish Flash 2 and 3 in JavaScript/Scripting?
From: Colin Moock
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:39:51 +0100

flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>How do I do a pure detection between versions of Flash 2 and 3 in
>JavaScript or VBScript. Is there a property of the mimetype to
>distinguish between 2 and 3?

>Joe

Flash 2 is known as:
navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash 2.0"]

And both Flash 2 and Flash 3 will return true for:
navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"]

I don't know your specific requirements, but you could use the above
info to detect Flash 2.0 users. Something like:

if(navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"]){
if(navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash 2.0"]){
document.write("You have Flash 2.0");
}
else {
document.write("You have Flash 3.0");