Subject: Re: FLASH: text ragged?
From: Jefferis
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:35:03 +0100

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:33:17 -0400, "Laura Mollett" <lmollettatmis [dot] net>
wrote:

>>Finally, the major portion of the art is done on my draft home page:
>>
>>http://www.petersonsales.net/draft/FlashSails.html
>>

>Hi There,
>
>Right clicking on the page indicates that the movie is not consistenly set
>to high quality... it starts out in high but switches off after a moment or
>too. Double-check the aftershock setting (you want "high", not the default
>"auto-high"), if you're using that.

Thanks, I did choose high for the last export.
>It seemed like the movie took a while to load for what was there... not an
>impossible wait, but I wonder why it was so long (I have sound off here at
>work, so if it's because of a sound file, ignore me :).

Yes... sound is part of it.

Your ship is
>beautiful. I paused the play so I could watch the sails billow - you might
>make that a little more dramatic (have them come out farther?) so it is more
>obvious when the animation is playing? If it were me, I might make the
>background of the page blue, rather than black, so the ship seems to be
>sailing across the sea. (If you're feeling like you have some extra time,
>some water and waves wouldn't hurt :).

I plan to add the water. The hard part was the ship. The sails billow,
but the problem with extending them too far is that in the Movie Clip
symbol, I cannot tween the shape of the sails unless I ungroup them and
then the shape tween is a mess. For some reason with motion tween,
elements of the graphic drop from view. So it is an illusion with a key
frame change of sail shape every 10 frames.
>I don't like the 'options' for flash detection on the site. In my opinion,
>the problem with this method is that you will need to explain what those
>options are for the 'average' user. I suspect most people will have trouble
>deciding what to click, and if you're doing auto-detection, it shouldn't be
>necessary? Also that many choices takes up a lot of screen real estate and
>in my opinion detracts from your movie.

I hate this too and so far I am having a lot of trouble. With IE 4.5
Mac, when I sign on, I get a grey screen. A friend's screen can't choose
the options, her screen turns red. Netscape plays it with the plug in ,
but not automatically. IE seems to stumble because it can't find java,
but java is right there in the folder with it....

Auto detect does not work with IE for the Mac...

I wish there was just one simple way of doing this. What I plan to do
is to make the viewer choose before entering the flash area.

>Just my 2 cents, for what that's worth ;)
>Laura Mollett

If you have a solution, please let me know.

Thanks
Jeff

Peterson Sales
410 Woodland Ave.