Subject: Re: FLASH: text ragged?
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:46:38 +0100

Hi again :)

> Yes... sound is part of it.

<nod> sound makes it longer. i just can't get away with that much noise at
work ;)

> I plan to add the water. The hard part was the ship.

<nod> it looks good :)

> Auto detect does not work with IE for the Mac...

MSIE on the Mac won't use the Active-X controls (MS did this on purpose,
it's one of the things that came out at that trial and very annoying :p They
think we'll switch to a windose machine if the MAC doesn't work right - ha,
think again.) Someone on this list (Colin, I think at dartfrog?) has a
tutorial and script that will work for most (all?) browsers and takes care
of the MSIE/MAC problem. I also think Macromedia has some more information
somewhere on their site about how to fix the detection script. I struggled
with this as well, and finally just embedded the movie on the opening page
and put a 'click here if nothing is happening' link at the bottom. If you
have the plug-in, it works. If not, you can click that link and have an
option for a static page, or to download the plug-in. I like this, but other
people on the list have come up with lots of other solutions that also work
well. (Wish we had an archive :).

If you're using IE *4.5* on the mac, and using 'load movie' anywhere, you
may also be finding the bug people have been discussing on the list for
awhile now; it doesn't deal properly with levels. I've got this problem on
one of my sites, and haven't figured out how to fix it yet either. I'm still
hoping using a full url or something of that nature will work, because I
really don't want to go back and move all those movies into one and change
all the buttons again <sigh>.

Laura Mollett