Subject: Re: FLASH: Wondering about CD CVs?
From: Neil MacLennan
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:06:59 +0100

I've recently seen a new (well, 'new' to me anyway) CD product. Its a CD
that's been cut/shaped down to the size of a business card and has four
little dimples that help it sit in the "CD single" little tray of your
standard CD player.

It fits about 16Mb of data and the one I was given had a company profile as
a cross-platform autostarting CD Flash movie -- nothing that wouldn't have
fitted on a floppy disk, but they took advantage of the extra disk space to
add beefier sounds and background music.

I thought it was really cool and it looks just like a regular business card
except for rounded corners (and a silver back!) When I first saw it someone
had to tell me that I could actually play it! I must confess I was a bit
reluctant to place a rectangle in my new blue G3 DVD drive -- but the
dimples did their job.

They need to be specially manufactured, so they're not very cheap and they
suffer from the dreaded "minimum order quantity". Great for forward-looking
companies -- not so great for a CV, which was after all the original thread.

Cool nonetheless.

Neil MacLennan
Reality Creative Design

PS and for those people you give it to without "modern technology", it has
the conventional contact/business details printed on the face!

PPS I realise this may sound a bit far-fetched to some of you -- note the
date -- it's not April 1 -- this is true!