Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: those little download proggys (was QT4 to SupportMacromedia Flash)
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:37:39 +0100

"Troy M. Gilbert" wrote:

> I cannot understand why companies have switched to a "download a little
> file then it downloads the rest" route. I have not found any situations
> where this is an advantageous route over previous methods. ...
The full QT4 download is very very large. Not everyone needs the same
functionality. The little file you're complaining about allows you to
download the minimum components only, in a very quick and simple way.
Later while you're surfing or using QT4 if you need further
functionality then the QT4 updater kicks in and downloads the needed
additional components. This is what I consider a big improvement over
having to tell people that they need to download XXMb if they want to
view QT content.

> I often download software from the web at the University where the
> connection is fast (compared to a modem). I then transfer this software to
> a ZIP Disk or burn it to a CD and then install it from home. These little
> install proggies make this a rather overly difficult task...
Do you pay any attention to the licensing terms that you should read
before downloading ? I don't think so. They do not allow you to do this.
Software companies like and have a right to know where the software is
going ! Please help fight piracy of any kind.