Subject: FLASH: OT: those little download proggys (was QT4 to Support Macromedia Flash)
From: Troy M. Gilbert
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:48:30 +0100

>Because Apple have decided
>to go down the "download a little file then it downloads the rest" route
>Being able to download the lot in one go would be so much easier

I cannot understand why companies have switched to a "download a little
file then it downloads the rest" route. I have not found any situations
where this is an advantageous route over previous methods. Is it that much
easier to write an app instead of a good CGI/HTML form? (I've done both
extensively, and I'd have to vote for the CGI/HTML route every day of the
week).

I often download software from the web at the University where the
connection is fast (compared to a modem). I then transfer this software to
a ZIP Disk or burn it to a CD and then install it from home. These little
install proggies make this a rather overly difficult task...

Sorry that this is way off-topic, but this is the first time I've seen
anyone else mention this annoyance and I wanted to vote my opinion...

Troy.