Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: those little download proggys (was QT4 to Support Macromedia Flash)
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 05:34:18 +0100

Hi Troy,

> >to go down the "download a little file then it downloads the rest" route
> >Being able to download the lot in one go would be so much easier
> I cannot understand why companies have switched to a "download a little
> file then it downloads the rest" route. I have not found any situations
> where this is an advantageous route over previous methods. Is it that much
> easier to write an app instead of a good CGI/HTML form? (I've done both
> extensively, and I'd have to vote for the CGI/HTML route every day of the
> week).
> I often download software from the web at the University where the
> connection is fast (compared to a modem). I then transfer this software to
> a ZIP Disk or burn it to a CD and then install it from home. These little
> install proggies make this a rather overly difficult task...
I didn't see a loader program on the Apple site for downloading the Win
Version of QT4 (maybe they only have it for Mac? The main reason for
some of these loader programs is to prevent losing all of your download
if your Web connection is interrupted. Some sites give you a choice of
downloading the a single large file or using the loader.

BTW remember QT4 is a Beta.