Subject: Re: FLASH: MIME not set negotiations with @home
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:36:25 +0100

Hi Laura,

> >> Here is the official response from the @home administrators in California
> regarding the MIME not being set on my South Ontario @home cable server.
> >Another case of qualified people handling customer service or is he a
> >"webmaster"?
> If the 'webmasters' and hosting services cannot manage to set their servers
> so they work properly, there will be a lot more problems than just Flash
> sites. *Any* kind of new technology (or old for that matter) requires that
> the MIME types be properly set, and if they aren't can cause all kinds of
> problems. I can't understand how any company can claim they are a qualified
> web hosting service without understanding what MIME is and how to set it :p.
> What about forwarding this to the web standards group? I think it's a
> standards issue.

1) All really qualified webmasters know what MIME is and how to set it
or can find out quickly how to set it. This is a basic and simple
webmaster function.
2) Most MIME settings come preset with the software, The most common
ones that are not included in most software are Flash (swf) and Midi
(mid). Many new and not fully qualifiesd webmasters or trainees have not
needed to set the MIME or even know what it is.
3) MIME is a standard transmission format used for Email and HTTP web
serving.
4) The real webmaster often delegates minor setting of the server to his
subordinates.
5) Not all ISPs have a fully qualified webmaster. Many have learned or
are learning on the job and have major gaps in their basic knowledge
even though they can handle many major poblems. As I said before many
new webmasters have not had to set the MIME because most MIME setting
are preset.
6) Flash Central has been training webmasters in the need and how to set
MIME for the last 2 years. Though I have done this for Flash once a
webmaster or administrator has set the MIME for one file type it is
extremely easy to do additional ones. I may make a section of the site
just for webmasters in the near future.