Subject: Re: FLASH: <<<< FlashJester CREATOR Public Beta >>>>>>[ot]
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:19:21 +0100

Hey jester guys, 404 on your link.

>>Actually this brings up a good discussion.
>
>Well, by golly, since DG has blessed this as a valid thread, I'll play.
>(;

Me too.

>(hey, I told you I couldn't sleep, and there's only so much font-bit-map
>recreating a guy can stand in one sitting)

If that won't put you to sleep, what will!? :)

>>Personally I dont use them and dont know anyone that does.

A lot of people do. They're good promotional devices.

Also, people with hobbies like them. I was thinking of putting one together
for the Rare Heritage Turkey group, Cattle Dog groups, and Farming group I
belong to. Just to be cool. No question these hobby people will dig it.
And there's a million types of them.

>>Is selling "screen savers" a big business?

If your doing a website for a big company, throw in a company specific or
industry specific screen saver. They'll love you for it. And it gets your
name *on screen* boys & girls. Worth the investment in my book. How tough
can it be to throw some images and a little pizzaz together?

>> Do people like noises coming from their computers will they are
>> away from the desk?

People rarely like noise coming from their computer. At least in my
circles. Makes it seem like they're not working, and it gets old quickly.

>They can be extremely useful in Kiosk applications (better to draw
>attention to your idle application with a flashy advertisement),

Known as "attract mode".

<other valid uses snipped>

>Just because you don't use one in your home-office, DG, doesn't mean
>there isn't money to be made making really cool and functional
>applications for those that need them, or, for those that just like to
>see really cool stuff on their monitor while stuck on hold with [ insert
>your most-annoying software company here] Support.

Possibly in the future, someone will develop screen savers that actually
provide useful real time info. I'm thinking Flash Gen here. Weather news,
breaking news, etc. etc. C'mon people, this is a no-brainer!

>Then there's Wayne, who uses an instant-active version for when his wife
>"pops" in to see how work is going, and he's got that porno site on the
>screen. (Just kidding, Wayne, I know you're not married! <w> )

LOL, Hey Frederico, that's not a bad idea! :)

Actually, every women who's seen it has been intrigued. They start judging
the girls. Meow!

>Now, if I could just find a screen-dimmer that I could selectively dim
>the monitors I'm not looking at, and just leave the one I need at the
>moment, so as to reduce the unnecessary EMF and glare, I'd be very happy.

Oooh. That's spooky. I don't like my monitors watching me.

Hey FlashJester guys, Where's the Mac version? Win only? Surely you jest!

/w

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Princeton, TX.