Subject: Re: FLASH: <<<< FlashJester CREATOR Public Beta >>>>>>[ot]
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:37:01 +0100

On 4/25/1999 8:22 AM, David Gary of dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net said:

>Actually this brings up a good discussion.

Well, by golly, since DG has blessed this as a valid thread, I'll play.
(;

(hey, I told you I couldn't sleep, and there's only so much font-bit-map
recreating a guy can stand in one sitting)

>Are Screensavers all they're cracked up to be?

Depends on why or what they do. Read on.

>Personally I dont use them and dont know anyone that does.

I know very few people, including Wintellers, that do not.

>Do people leave their computers unattended for long periods of time?

Yes. Especially in work and business situations, or little things we like
to call "servers".

>Do people not realise that the latest Monitors are "Burn
>Screen" safe and no longer require phospher protection.

Yes, most people realise this. They should really be more accurately
called "privacy-savers", or even better, "energy-savers" (when used
properly). The word "screen-saver" is one of those leftover, useless
words that just won't go away (kinda like DOS). [insert flame protection
here] (;

>Is selling "screen savers" a big business?

Yes and no. They can be extremely valuable, when applied properly. Most
are freeware, the good ones (read: useful) are cost-based. Read on.

> Do people like noises coming from their computers will they are
> away from the desk?

Not everyone uses computers at a desk, and even those that do have
extremely valid uses for "screen-savers". Sounds are optional, based on
application.

>Do people really use screen savers? If they do, why?

They can be extremely useful in Kiosk applications (better to draw
attention to your idle application with a flashy advertisement), in
business applications (such as where a customer could look over the
counter or desk while you walk away for a moment and view sensitive
information), in security situations (good screen-dimmers are password
protected, manually or automatically activated, and prevent corporate
spies [or office dickheads] from viewing your sensitive information while
you're in the can or when they "pop" into your office), in classrooms
(where a teacher needs to draw the attention somewhere other than what's
on the screen), in a computer store ( where the owners get some
additional visual-name-recognition when the apps aren't in use), and the
best "screensavers" will power down your monitor altogether after a
specified period of time (EnergyStar�), along with your
*specified*drives, regardless of screen state ( thus saving energy, wear
and tear on your tube, less-used drives, your ears and sanity, etc., most
used in servers and workstations, great for graphics machines with lots
of storage/capture drives), and most of the good security-types can't
just be overridden by rebooting (again, server-applications, security
workstations, etc.).

Just because you don't use one in your home-office, DG, doesn't mean
there isn't money to be made making really cool and functional
applications for those that need them, or, for those that just like to
see really cool stuff on their monitor while stuck on hold with [ insert
your most-annoying software company here] Support.

Then there's Wayne, who uses an instant-active version for when his wife
"pops" in to see how work is going, and he's got that porno site on the
screen. (Just kidding, Wayne, I know you're not married! <w> )

Now, if I could just find a screen-dimmer that I could selectively dim
the monitors I'm not looking at, and just leave the one I need at the
moment, so as to reduce the unnecessary EMF and glare, I'd be very happy.
Especially after a late night at Tommy Tsunami's.

God this is going to be a long day.

Frederico

~These are the times that try Men's Souls~ Thomas Paine

Columbine in Our Hearts