Subject: FLASH: OT: POV re Microsoft, Netscape, Eudora (Mac-related diatribe)
From: unique
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 05:50:05 +0100

Hello,

For most of the past three years, I'd been rebuilding/reorganizing my
life, and ended up with a great job with a great "boss" plus 6 other
great people to work with.

http://www.tomsheehan.com , and (you'll get it if you're curious)
http://www.19north.com ... though I haven't had much of a chance yet
to get into the "fix-ups". My first "assigned Web-related task" is to
create a Flash Front End for the yet-to-be-fully-developed sheehan
site. Happy me! (I found me a smart boss, huh? He even favors
*simple* Flash ... the earliest, most "core" stuff. Hubba hubba.)

From 1986 through 1996 I owned a desktop publishing business ...
first one in my rather small city in SE PA. I discovered early on
that I could charge my customers much more $$-per-hour if I (1)
invested judiciously in certain "extra equipment", and, (2a)
memorized and consistently used every keyboard shortcut available
from the software itself, and (2b) added (just a few, "key") extra
keyboard shortcuts via Quickeys (a macro-creation program (PC and
Mac)). I just programmed my function keys (no added
"command/option/control/shift extras) to "hold" the few functions
(or, series of keyboard strokes and/or menu-clicks-and-drags (BIG
waste of time)) stuff. Heck, back then, PageMaker didn't even have a
keyboard combo for "Save As ...". BUT, *I* did, 'cuz I made a macro
to do it. Easy as pie, especially with Quickeys.

Well, long story short (I'm still learning even-better (faster,
cleaner) ways to communicate!), now that I have this new job, and
I've yanked myself rapidly through most of the newbie-learning-curve
stuff (heck, just last week, after being there for about 2-1/2
months, it (finally!) popped into my head that my office at work NOW
feels as comfortable/organized/efficient (as a "work" place) as my
Mac-in-my-living-room-with-my-TV-on-behind-me-(FoxNews-almost-always)-
and-with-other-usual-"at-home"-amenities-quite-close-at-hand-(includin
g-Rocky-my-cat-buddy) "home" office.

(Sorry for that long compound adjective if you have any trouble with
it, though you oughtn't to IMO (because it is grammatically correct).
Buckminster Fuller is one-a my top three heroes.)

(GEE WHIZ I can yack.) Last main paragraph (*you* put it together,
please): Mac versions of Eudora (the latest), Netscape Navigator
4.08, and Microsoft Word '98, I've recently had time to really
realize, all seem to be "ports" from PC stuff. It's the (Apple)
Human Interface Guidelines thing. They all hog your time, yank at
your attention and your HD, and just plain ain't user-friendly.
(Though I still respect Eudora Pro Mac especially for all its great
features for folks who get 400+ emails per day, as I; I'm currently
hoping that Outlook Express' most current Mac version will be "more
user friendly" to me. (DLing as I type.))

SEE, EVERYBODY, I'M *NOT* STRICTLY "ANTI-MICROSOFT"! :-) ... I KNOW A
BIT ABOUT HOW TO SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF; or, if you
prefer, the baby/bathwater meme.

That's it.

For now.

Ken Sherwood

p.s. See? I'm learning better ways about how to get to the point
(relatively) quickly and then shut up. Thank God for the apparent
"finiteness" aspect of *time*!

--

http://kensherwood.com -- new rants/stories almost every day

http://www.onelist.com/group/kensherwooddotcomers -- easier and more