Subject: FLASH: RE: foto3.com site
From: sahlan cherpitel
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:44:58 +0100

ilia wrote:

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:59:04 -0700
From: "Ilia Pasymansky" <iliap75athotmail [dot] com>
Subject: RE: FLASH: major MIDI question

Hi !
I counted 70 pretty good quality photographs on your page and it wasn't
preloading anything at all!!!
how!? did! you !do this??!!! this is not less than 10 K jpegs each..
Are you loading each of them as a new movie??.. still should be some delays
on my 56 K ..
Or I am missing something or you did some amazing compression here..
Ilia

>From: sahlan cherpitel <satfoto3 [dot] com>

http://www.foto3.com

hi ilia,

ok, i may not be able to draw with either hand, so i'm trying to establish
myself as a flash designer specializing in large bitmaps & typography

thanks for being impressed---it helped make my day by showing me that the
section will at least sometimes work the way i'd hoped

actually the photos range from about 5k to over 30k, average is probably
about 14k, and they're all in one 2.1 MB movie

also except for a brief fade in of the title, i did no tweening in this
flick

the buttons are each single instances & even the forward & reverse are the
same instance flipped

and i held the the movie to 500x500 because on this section i did not scale
down the images to give them better res & allow the movie to be scaled to
fit the browser window

each shot is laid out on a single frame with stop action, which helps too
they both provide a way for the viewer to interact and have some control, as
well as give a few more seconds for more of the movie to download

i think if we developers can provide proper content, a viewer is going to
pause longer before clicking on, which you must have done

you may also have hit the web at a good time

also if you're using IE, i believe MS's hype about it being faster may be
true

i just got dsl a week ago & i've timed the download of the whole 2.1 mb file
ranging from as little as 23 seconds (incredible!) on IE & then 5 minutes
later on NS at 230 seconds---a difference of 10X speed (and there were no
caches to clear as this was my first look after 'putting')

i hate loading, loading, loading.... on any site, & tried to stream mine so
that there's enough light k stuff with some content to occupy a viewer on
normal dial-up, at least the first time around, so that the bigger stuff
down the line can be there waiting

That means an intro that doesn't just kill time, but adds to the overall
effect, like well done credits in a movie---the title designer saul bass was
one of my graphic idols.

the tarrega concerto is not in the movie but on the midi plug in, which is
also streaming... the music's actually 24 minutes long (if someone wants to
look at photos that long) & is only a 168k file

that's the beauty of flash, beyond being able to control the typography,
which is what turned me on as a designer from a heavy print background, &
who got into print production because he was often unhappy with how his
photos were used

in this go round i was turned off by the inability of flat html to control
typography & having to squint at thumbnails in html, then wait eons for a
blow-up to appear

if you look at the posters link on my site, you'll find another extreme....
there i stream but during some of the tweens of the 850 to 1000 px pics, you
can literally watch each frame flicker by----i've had some of it up for a
few months as a test, & it really doesn't play much faster for me on dsl
than it did on k56, which is the way it should be for now

the culprit here is processor speed, and i have a G3 300, which is about the
same speed as a PIII 450. when we've all got G4s & 5s & 1gigNTs, i'll have
to add a bunch of frames to the movie to slow it down a bit

there, i hope i explained enough to satisfy, if not please contact me on or
off list & i'll offer what else i can

& forgive me if i've gone on too much.... at nearly 4am i'm about ready to
crash myself

kind regards & thanks again for giving me some assurrance that my experiment
has succeeded

sahlan

flasher is generously supported by...