Subject: Re: FLASH: Problem with loading text into textfield
From: Thorvald Neumann
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:53:41 +0100

Hej Helen, hej to all otherssan!

Wednesday, April 26, 2000, 18:48, Helen Triolo <designerati-technica [dot] com> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was wasting my time.

Nono, it was not meant as you felt I was implying. ;) I used the ;-).
Your hints are always thoughtful and helpful.

> But mc's *do* talk to each other--that's the whole point of
> having paths and nesting, etc.

I know. I tried the whole afternoon to get this precious little
thingie running. It is part of my project and I have to finish it
until Friday midday. :(

> Maybe if you post your code here, we could take a look at it.

It is not that easy.

First I describe my application:

(You find an earlier layout at
http://www.tempora-nova.de/kidgames/site3.html)

It is a website with a five-elements-navigation on the left and a
main field on the right, the display.

In the 'display field' in the main movie I have got a movieclip which
contains a dummy movie (similar to the one they used in Flash Magic,
Product Catalog). Using a dynamic Load Movie action in my script
library and a combination of Set Variable and Call actions on the
buttons, the dummy mc will be exchanged with another movie which will
be loaded from the server. (BTW, all mcs have instance names.)

So far, all things have worked/are working fine. (This can be seen on
the website mentioned above). I have a main SWF-file and five
extra-SWFs for the 'subpages'.

The idea which striked my mind was to incorporate a textfield in one
of these mcs which will be filled with content from a TXT-file through
a Load Variable action. When using this mc in stand-alone mode, it works
fine. But changing the target options to the neccessary ones, it does
not work at all in the place of the dummy mc.

I got the impression that either the original instance name of the
dummy does not transfer to the new mc (and thus preventing
communication between the mcs) or the Load Variable action does
not function in a nested mc. The latter would be a serious Flash bug.

Best regards,

Thorvald Neumann

--
Thorvald Neumann