Subject: FLASH: Salaries
From: Gahlord Dewald
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:09:30 +0100

15/hr is ridiculously low. I charge 100/hr and do quite well. New York can
climb up to 325/hr (better be a good programmer _and_ a good designer for
that). But that's all subcontract/freelance.

I wouldn't take a salary below 80k and that better be a choice position
where I go home at 5pm every day, don't work weekends, and have an Aeron to
sit in. 125k seems to be the salary number I hear and see most often.

As for where you live, the fact that you live in an inexpensive place should
help you lower your rates some, but the reality is it's you that lives
there, not the client. If someone's trying to weasel your rate down because
you live in some place that's cheap you'd be best finding work from someone
who needs you more than they do (let them hire those 15/hr guys out there
and see what they get).

IMHO, a good flash developer has both programming and creative skills. The
programming strategies and creative vision he or she brings to the table are
in most cases unique. No one would design the way I do (or maybe no one
would want to ;) ) and no one would approach a programming situation in
exactly the same way I do (again, maybe no one would want to). Aside from
your laundry list of great commodified knowledge, you contain unique
abilities and insights that are priceless. Be confident in that, and don't
commoditize yourself. Because there's always some jr high schooler willing
to work for cheaper.

Of course, if you have to pay rent and you aren't bringing down the big
bucks then do what you gotta do. But best to concentrate on attracting
clients who are willing to support your livelihood and method of problem
solving (both creative and technical) then getting sucked into the safety of
regular money (and dog hours and tight deadlines and not enough resources
etc.). If necessary, consult a business coach.

I guess that might've been 4 cents worth :)

Gahlord Dewald
gahlordatweedsmedia [dot] com
Weeds Media Consortium
www.weedsmedia.com