Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:31:22 +0100

on 04.26.00 5.15p, Laura Mollett wrote:

>I work for an advertising agency, doing mostly print work. I'm trained
> as (and hired in as) a graphic designer - I do ads and such... no
> programming (unless you count dealing with photoshop/illustrator/the
> printers etc.). My company bills my time out to their customers at around
> $75 an hour. Believe me, they don't pay me that much (and would go broke if
> they did ;) though I make a decent salary. I also freelance design and flash
> work, minor programming... why in the world would I accept a great deal less
> than my company thinks I'm worth for doing more (design *and* flash, html,
> dhtml, css etc.)? I still consider myself "learning/intermediate" in some
> areas, so my rates aren't what I think the top-of-the-line people could
> draw, but I charge reasonably for my skills and services. And I live in a
> place with a much lower cost of living than Cincinnati - namely Lexington,
> KY :)

Just wanted to say that it's nice to see someone just like me (work in
print...etc) on this list. As a matter of area/market comparison (I'm in Las
Vegas), my company (50 person agency) bills my time at $100/hr and I make
nowhere near that (about 1/5, actually) and I also do freelance
(web/flash/print/lawnmowing...) for $50/hr or on a project-to-project basis
(logos anywhere from $50 to $1500, plus revisions, etc, you get the idea)
mostly depending on how much I can get, how big the company, if I can get
trade, is it good exposure, are they friends... Most of the agencies I
freelance for were started by friends who will call and say "I need
something quick, only got $50 in the budget" and I'll do it cause if I
scratch their back... Other times, I'll get a call to do a quickie website
for under $4000, no maintenance, and I pass cause I'm doing something else
(or catching up on PowerPuff Girls episodes on tape).

Anyroad, I guess it's a matter of figuring out what you need to survive,
what you need to be comfortable and trying to get a little more, but be
willing to settle for less. The more you make, the more that's going to be
expected of you (more hours, more diversity, more knowledge, more talent) so
find a balance you can live with. What good is $100,000/yr if you spend your
waking hours in front of a computer, pulling your hair out cause you keep
getting code errors and the projects due ten minutes ago. Wouldn't it be
nicer to make less and relax once in a while. Just a thought.

--
Michael Dunn
The Merica Agency

flasher is generously supported by...