Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:08:38 +0100

> Don't short-change yourself. There are companies willing to pay outrageous
> rates. Using monster.com the representatives of these companies will be
> massing on your doorstep. Seriously.

I think it's not always clear whether we're discussing salary/contract rates
or freelance rates. As a salaried or contract worker, $30 to $50 an hour is
very good. Freelancers though would double, or even triple that. As a
freelancer, you're paying for the equipment, "office" space, insurance,
lawyers fees for contracts, sub-contracting work you don't do yourself etc.
etc. I work for an advertising agency, doing mostly print work. I'm trained
as (and hired in as) a graphic designer - I do ads and such... no
programming (unless you count dealing with photoshop/illustrator/the
printers etc.). My company bills my time out to their customers at around
$75 an hour. Believe me, they don't pay me that much (and would go broke if
they did ;) though I make a decent salary. I also freelance design and flash
work, minor programming... why in the world would I accept a great deal less
than my company thinks I'm worth for doing more (design *and* flash, html,
dhtml, css etc.)? I still consider myself "learning/intermediate" in some
areas, so my rates aren't what I think the top-of-the-line people could
draw, but I charge reasonably for my skills and services. And I live in a
place with a much lower cost of living than Cincinnati - namely Lexington,
KY :)

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...