Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries
From: Chad Byers
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:00:42 +0100

As the co-owner of a creative design company in Louisville, KY, I can tell you
that what David Sparks said is very true. You need to convince a boss that your
skills are going to be worth what they will pay you.

But you need to really know what the market in your area is. I have had people
come to freelance for me at rates that are higher than I can get clients to pay
for the work.

As a creative company, the overhead is a heavy cost. The marketing you do
internally is a heavy cost. And in many areas of the U.S. (and unfortunately
for me, Louisville is one) convincing people that web design actually costs
anything is very difficult.

Case in point: Potential client of ours wanted an informational site about
their company. A reasonable $5000ish figure for what would be an extremely
effective marketing piece. We give them a detailed proposal with an accounting
of our pricing logic. They balk at the price. They don't NEED all that! After
discussing the importance of good design to communicating credibility and
closing relationships with THEIR clients, they agree to look into things on a
minimal work necessary basis. We resubmit a proposal a half the original
figure. After another few weeks of follow-up and waiting, the result: they
wanted to spend only $500-$800 on the site. Their budget needs to go to other
concerns. In all, a waste of probably 10-15 hours of my time in conversation,
research, reading and follow up. And this is not an exceptional case.

We live and work in an environment which is very protech, future minded. It is
important to bear in mind that there are still a large number of companies which
don't even have e-mail accounts. Our house usually manages to bill only $60-$75
an hour for design work, and manages to succeed. That is about standard in this
area. If I hire a freelancer at $100 per hour, they need to be able to do the
work in about one third of the time.

Chad H Byers
The Idea Plant, Inc.
Right brained work...left brained reasons.
www.theideaplant.com

flasher is generously supported by...