Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:14:18 +0100

Another thing that's not being mentioned that I was reminded by with Brian's
post about how monster.com sucked is the old saying it's 30% what you know
and 80% who. And there's about 50% luck thrown in, too. When I got fired
from job A at an agency and that night talked to a friend who was quitting
at a magazine, so I took his job. New job in less than a week, including
contact, interview, etc. For more money and higher position. Then I got
fired from that job (hey, it's not me, Vegas is a fickle town >=[ and
called a friend from another agency who gave me numbers that I called,
pulled some favors with pals in the industry to phone in a good word, and
was offered freelance for three days and was hired on fulltime on the third
day. Another job in less than a week, including contact, interviews and
freelance. Making more money still.

So, I think that the whole network thing is almost as important as what your
skills are. I've seen too many designers who sucked come in at higher pay
and position because they were good schmoozers, played golf, y'know. More AE
than AD. Anyway, thought I'd add this to the formula.

--

Michael "Not a schmoozer, but talented enough for it not to matter" Dunn
The Merica Agency

flasher is generously supported by...