Subject: Re: FLASH: Adobe LiveMotion
From: J. Lutes (pixelTwiddler)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:29:27 +0100

At 09:46 AM 8/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>My company just picked up a copy of Adobe LiveMotion. I've been messing
>around with it a little here and there. The interface is pretty decent (and
>familiar for Adobe people) but I can't see any sort of built-in scripting
>language (ie, ActionScript). How can LiveMotion be used to create dynamic,
>interactive SWFs without scripting? Am I just missing it or does LiveMotion
>really fall that drastically short of Flash in terms of building interactive
>animations?

Matt,

You are not missing anything. LiveMotion does fall drastically short. It
is falls short when it comes to feature implentation (large or small), and
has many bugs. The lack of scripting potential is just one in a long list.

In defense of LM, you _can_ easily create a measure of interactivity, but
the "dynamic" part you seek is not in there yet.

Just wait 'til you need to do a lot with comparably simpler things like
color picking, using the Pen tool, or applying filters which supposedly
rely on the current fill and background color. There are so many
shortcomings/bugs in LM that discovering them may make you as disappointed
in Adobe as I am.

Good luck with it.

-
J A S O N L U T E S