Subject: FLASH: Flash and custom palettes
From: Richard D. Miller
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:49:00 GMT

We're new to this list and to Flash, but would greatly appreciate your
help and guidance.

We're considering Flash as the primary means to present approximately
4000 individual pictures at our web site (www.forestworld.com). Nearly
1000 of these are of detailed wood patterns, where we've optimized the
images (approx. 3x3 inches in size) to display in 256 color environments.
(All of this comes from a CD we've been selling around the world for the
past five years). We'd like to use Flash IF there is some way to store
the custom palettes so that the individual Flash movies (each containing
one picture) would appear photo-quality for users with monitors set to
256 colors. If not, we'll have to stick with conventional JPEG (which,
under 256 colors, does not do a good job with our graphics).

The 1000 wood images are currently stored as PICT images. They could be
converted to other formats if necessary.

If it is possible to maintain the palettes (and we would assume this
would cause a color shift on the users display when viewed...correct?),
is there some easy way to import 4000 images and create 4000 individual
Flash files?

What other issues should we be aware of?

Thanks.
Richard D. Miller, Director
The Forest Partnership
802-865-1111