Subject: FLASH: Embedding Spaces in Mailto: (John C.?)
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:33:24 GMT

Hi John,

I dug up an old email of yours because I wanted the correct syntax for
inserting spaces in the ?body of a Get URL mailto: action. However, when I
follow your advice, %20% displays " %" in the mail message body, whereas
using %20 gets the desired single space (NC 4.7 PC).

Can you enlighten me? Also I'm lost as to what you mean by
>>My method of placing variables in the URL instead of using Get does not
>>require converting spaces to URL encoding and seems to display spaces
>>correctly in the email all the time.

Is that a Flash4 scripting function? What is the syntax please (if you have
time).

thanks,
Marc

>From: John Croteau <croteauaterols [dot] com>
>
>Hi Marc,
>
> > At 07:42 AM 7/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
> > >Note, body will not work with many email clients and subject won't work
> > >with a few.
> > I've been in the habit of using ?body and ?subject in my Flash email Get
> > URLs. Also I use %20 for a space character. Do you know what the
> > consequence will be for those email clients that do not handle this? That
> > is, will just the text I've added be messed up, or will the entire
> email fail?
>The only major problem is some people don't have any email client setup.
>
>Otherwise the only problem is the unsupported features like the body or
>even the subject in AOL browsers will not be used. As far as I know
>there are no side effects except when no mail program is setup and then
>a message box may come up stating that.
>
>I assume you are using %20% and not %20, if not change to the correct
>syntax.
>However with Get either a space or %20% displays a + or %20% instead of
>a space at times from Flash.
>
>My method of placing variables in the URL instead of using Get does not
>require converting spaces to URL encoding and seems to display spaces
>correctly in the email all the time.
>
>URL encoding is needed to send 'search' parameters in the URL when
>sending data to a server (this can be done by setting MIME or by
>applying URL encoding (such as %20% for spaces).

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...