Subject: Re: FLASH: Quicktime issues!
From: maxx
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:09:04 GMT

on 12/7/00 5:11 PM, John Dowdell said:

> If this is "What can cause failure of a QT with SWF tracks on
> some-but-not-all machines?" then the top potential cause is a version
> difference in QuickTime... that's the easiest way to get such a symptom,
> although it's likely not the only way.

I certainly hope that this is the case. I'm going to install QT 5 on the
display machine (oddly that it's the same model as the one that authored it
and has much less overhead going on when playing).

> Hmm, but reading through the description a couple more times it sounds like
> some SWF content was exported as QT, reimported as QT, merged with other
> captured-video QT content, integrated with SWF material, and then exported
> as QT again...? (I may be wrong here!) If so, then how do those afflicted
> machines do with each stage of the merging there... do they act differently
> at a particular step?

Lessee, that is accurate. Sorry if my description was a little kludgey, JD.
;>

Other machines, two G4s, a B/W, and old beige baby, get hitchy on the first
QT scene (the After Effects one), but they do play the last one (relatively
simple .fla-QT) better than the AE). Mine just gets all out of sync, the mcs
are almost skipped entirely. Watching it happen gives me a heart attack.

Nevertheless, playing the regular plain QTs (exported the first time and not
part of the final film) play pretty much the same way as described
above...especially the one I worked on. The "merging and re-export" didn't
seem to affect the overall final output quality. I was hoping that was the
issue!

> (I've seen some calls in the past where people exported vectors as QT from
> Flash and then had difficulty reimporting, because this QT had no video
> content at all. It doesn't sound like this is related to the description
> there though...?)

Nah. Flash hasn't showed any issues with a reimport.

> Well, QuickTime doesn't tend to work with nested sprites or scripts beyond
> its range... when layering vector interactivity atop captured video content
> it's more "here is what can be translated" situation than a "everything can
> be translated" situation.

Guess I shoulda read through the manual again before beginning work on this
project. Pains me most that I tried to work as efficiently as possible and
this happens when I've tried to hammer on the other guys here to stop using
the main timeline as their production field (60 layers, mostly unnamed,
labels? What labels? MCs? Why? Symbols? What're those?")

But I understand what you're saying just fine.

> Hmm, hold it, from the part about the other person "recreating it in Flash
> to make a Projector" I get the picture that you're trying to use Flash as a
> playback engine...? If so, then no, Flash Projectors don't display video
> content, and any time there's any QT in the process we'd be delivering as a
> QuickTime file. (Hmm, on a fourth rereading it sounds like you may already
> have this wired, I'm probably irrelevant here then.)

Oh no, you guys got me on the whole QT in a swf/projector early last year. I
remember all too well. Video content goes to QT...no buts about it.

I'm dragging the plain full screen projectors over today to see how they
hold up.

> If you're integrating SWF and video content, then have you considered doing
> the final assembly in a video editor? Could this be the missing link
> there...?

Well, I did try that a coupla days ago, and AE just didn't see the full
timeline, no mcs played just level0. Premiere? Oh forget it! ;> I wish that
were the case...ugh.

Thanks, JD, for mulling this over with me!

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com