Subject: FLASH: scaling line segments/ scripting a drawn line
From: Catherine Kunicki
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:36:58 GMT

Hi.

I've been successful in making my ellipse scripts work - I have a movieclip
which is travelling on a dynamic ellipse path based on settings of a couple
of buttons which serve as focus and radius measurements.

What I'd like to do is to have the movieclip trace a line path.

I have an old Lingo script which does this via placement of a line object. I
used two castmembers - one was at a 45 degree angle facing left and the
other was at a 45 degree angle facing right. I swapped and scaled these
lines based on the position of the coordinates.

I have an old Hypertalk script which does this too - in that case, the line
was simply dragged from coordinate to coordinate using the line tool.

In attempting to re-make this as actionscript, the Director approach seems
best, although without the ability in Flash to leave trails I have been
dinking around with duplicating movieclips to get the line segments where I
want them.

Therein lies the problem: when I scale a movieclip containing a line
segment, the ink attribute scales along with the width and height.

I'd like to keep the width of the line constant - lets say 2 or 3 pixels
wide.

I've seen a number of the bezier swf's posted by various members of this
list and I wonder if there is a tutorial anywhere explaining how this has
been achieved.

Has anyone traced a line/shape in Flash 4 or 5?

Suggestions about keeping line segments at a consistent ink size when scaled
would help a lot.

by the way, using and scaling a single ellipse to match the path might work
initially, but I have other scripts I want to use later which will twist
these ellipses into sine waves and figure eight loop-de-loops of various
kinds, so I don't think one ellipse MC will work in order to draw the shapes
in those cases.

any ideas appreciated!

thanks

catherine

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com