Subject: FLASH: Re: ActionScript Navigation Question
From: Paul Hagwood
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:53:05 GMT

You ask: I have 8 different buttons on stage. When I
click one of them I want to activate an MC (which will
be the same for all 8 buttons!)

I say: Ok, so tell target which you copy and paste
into all the buttons, right?

You ask: which is going to "walk" to a specific place
on stage. Now onClick I want this MC to move (it is
still invisible at that point) the the same
location as the clicked button (thru actionScript) and
goTo Frame X where the MC becomes visible.

I say: Ok, so onClick you will Setproperty X and Y
position of MovieA to the x and y position of
movieclip"C" which contains the button you just
clicked on. SO the code would probably look something
like this:
On (Press)
Set Property ("MovieA", X Position) =
GetProperty ( "", _x )
Set Property ("MovieA", Y Position) =
GetProperty ( "", _y )
End On

Notice I left the target part of GetProperty blank,
that's because you are targeting the same movie your
button is in. Should work. Then to turn if visable,
just set visibility to TRUE.

You asked: Also I want the same MC to change color
(thru actionScript!) so it has the same color as the
clicked button (by the way
the starting visible frame of the MC is the exact same
as the button itself)

I say: As far as I know, it's not possible to change
the color of a movie clip through actionscript. If you
find a way then let me know. But you can always create
a key frame for the color you want everything to be
and then move the frame of that MC to the color frame.
Dig?

You Asked: AND last but not least there is a letter in
this MC which should change(thru actionScript (using
setVariable?)) depending on the button you click!!

That's the easy one. Just create a text field in your
movie and set the variable to on using the ABC button.
Then go to properties and name the thing. Name it
whatever you want, "Confused".
Then just do something like this:
Set Variable: "/MovieA:Confused" = "I'm clicked"

Let's break it down. The first part is your target
which I have named "MovieA" and the / says it's a
child of the main movie. "Confused" is the name of the
variable that is stored in MovieA. Then just type in
what you want it to say in the second field which if
you want it to be just text, then leave it as a String
Literal (abc) but if you want it to be the property of
another variable then check the = sign and type in the
name of the variable and make sure you target the
correct timeline for that variable. Confused?
Sounds like you want to do a lot, just email me and
I'll try to help. Cool?

=====
http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com