Subject: Re: FLASH: Director to Flash
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:05:53 GMT

At 9:21 AM 2/11/99, Rick Koch wrote:
> I am wondering if Flash allows for creating the project in Director
> and importing that into Flash as a finished piece. Is that possible?
> Is there any merit in that? What exactly is the relationship between
> the two?

Sorry, no, a Director piece cannot be played in Flash. We can do the
opposite, though, hosting Flash content in Director and Shockwave.

One way to think of it is that there are media creation tools, and media
integration tools. Flash creates interactive vector animation files. It's
like how Photoshop creates pixel-based images, and AfterEffects creates
QuickTime videos.

Director integrates various media types. You can import HTML files, videos,
Flash files, audio, embed Xtras, more. Director is more of a destination
environment.

The Flash Player has a great advantage in that it's small, and it starts up
in a Flash. This makes it more accessible for many types of content...
you'll see far more splash pages done in Flash than in Shockwave, for
instance.

Director and Shockwave excel at creating web applications. It offers a very
fast, compact, and powerful scripting language. Unlike JavaScript, Lingo
works the same across multiple browser brands, versions, and platforms.
Your interactive pieces can make use of XML-formatted data, submit search
engine queries, and react completely to user input.

used as media elements within Shockwave movies. The two combine into a very
strong toolset.

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your