Subject: Re: FLASH: 3d vector art
From: Ashley Vail
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:55:33 GMT

At 11:49 PM 2/11/99 -0600, Erik [gearik] Mattheis wrote:
>...Maybe I should let up on my defense of Dimensions, but I feel
>compelled to say that I created http://www.gourmandizer.com/flash/3d/ (46
>frames) in 2-3 hours after launching Dimensions the first time.
>
>Yeah, yours has a natural spin ... whereas mine looks like it's careening
>through a dense asteroid field or something ... I don't understand the
>degrees to rotate to make something like yours, and haven't hit on it by
>experimentation ... could you explain the degrees of rotation you used for
>the axes for each "leg" of the rotation? Don't know if this applies to the
>app you used, but if you create a sequence 360 degrees rotated in
>Dimensions, every frame is the same, so I've had to do the first 180, then
>the 2nd.
>
>And one last pro-Dimensions response I have is that the thing about how it
>exports gradients as lots of shapes ... it is absolutely not the nightmare
>DG describes ... you just separate everything that is not a gradient into a
>separate layer in Flash, hide the layer, and then the "gradient" surfaces
>become easy as pie to isolate, at least for objects of a complexity I'd
>think you'd want to use in a Flash movie anyway.

--------

I just now made a very short movie (about six frames) of a rotated cube from
Dimensions and copied into Flash, frame by frame, using an angle of minus
five degrees on the Y-axis for rotation. I think that figure was a little
large, the action is not as smooth as yours. I didn't try any lighting on
the cube, did you apply your shading in Flash? Did you copy wire frames
to make your Flash movie? Did you copy and paste at all or export your cube
files as AI?

Ashley Vail