Subject: Re: FLASH: help quick!
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:56:58 GMT

Hi Kristin.

This calls for an understanding of movie clips and TellTarget. You would
have a movie clip (MC) present in a higher layer than the quiz
questions/answers, always present in the timeline. Here's an example of an
architecture that would work for the MC:

a) Frame 1: no graphics, has a frame action: Stop. Flash designers often
refer to this as a Park frame.
b) Frame 2: the "Sorry, try again" graphic. Give it a frame label: "wrong."
c) Frames 3-12 are empty and serve as a timer. Adjust the number of frames
so the graphic in b) will linger awhile. Frame 12 is a KeyFrame and has the
frame action "Go to frame 1 and stop"
d) Frame 13 has a frame label "right" and a graphic "That's Right!" (I
figure you want to congratulate the user, no?)
e) some blank frames, the same as c), that is, a built-in timer that
eventually returns the MC to frame 1 where it stops.
f) in Frame 13 you also need a frame action that tells the main timeline to
move ahead to the next question. So, in addition to the action that sends
the MC back to frame 1, also have the action:
Begin TellTarget
target: ../ [this refers to the main timeline]
play
End TellTarget

Now place the movie clip on the main timeline in its own layer so it's
always present. You may want to temporarily place a graphic in frame 1 of
the movie clip so you can see it while placing it on the stage, then go
back to the symbol and remove the frame 1 graphic.

Double-click the movie clip and give it the instance name "response."

The answers to your quiz must be buttons. The "wrong" answer buttons are
programmed like this:

On Release
Begin TellTarget
Target: /response
Go to frame
label: wrong
End TellTarget
End On

The "right" answer buttons are programmed like this:

On Release
Begin TellTarget
Target: /response
Go to frame
label: right
End TellTarget

The only thing left to do is to create the quiz on the main timeline.
Every frame should be a keyframe with a Stop action built in, the question,
and the answer buttons. Your last frame can say "Congratulations, you made it!"

At 08:44 PM 2/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a question. What is the simplest and best way to set up interactive
>questions in Flash? I have a slide by slide presentation. When you get
to one
>slide, there is a question with a choice of 4 answers. For example, it says
>"What color is the sky?" and there are 4 answers to choose from- red, blue,
>green and purple. If the user picks anything but blue, I need another graphic
>to pop up and say, "sorry, that's wrong. Try again". Then the user is given
>the four choices again. Only if they pick "blue", will they be able to
>continue to the next slide.

Marc Hoffman