Subject: Re: FLASH: RE: FLASH's future
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:49:24 GMT

Hi all,

> >was alarmed to learn that the W3 or whatever it is called is not or has not
> >adopted Flash for its new standards. What does this portend for Flash?
> If you want to see our favorite graphics standard, SWF (Shockwave Flash),
> become a recognized standard, visit the W3C website (www.w3c.org) and drop
> them an e-mail in support of it!
Though it would be nice if Flash becomes the binary vector Web standard,
it is much more important what Microsoft and Netscape do than what the
W3 sets as 'standards'. If Flash becomes a defacto standard even if it
is never approved by the W3 this is not a big problem. Better to be an
official standard but Flash is not nor will it be just because it is not
an official standard.

Just being a standard is not all that important.
Fot instance PNG is a W3 standard.
The MIME type for PNG (Image/png) was approved on Oct. 14 1996.
The first version of FutureSplash was only announced in August of 1996.
The Flash MIME is still experimental (the x in its MIME name) but it is
widely used on the Web and will continue to be.

The proposed SVG is a vector language and will be useful for text
manipulation and simple vector animation. It will not replace Flash but
suppliment it. I'm sure future versions of Flash and Dreamweaver will
include tools to utilize it if it becomes popular.

Which format do you see more of on the Web now: Flash, PNG or SVG?
Which do you expect to see widely in the year 2001?

I think the answers are obvious.
Flash.
Flash!!!!!! maybe PNG.