Subject: Re: [flasher] RE: Interactive bus time-table
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:44:02 -0000

Hejsan! The hard part is the logic behind the map, of course. I was
thinking about how I would do your map as I ate breakfast (more
inspiring than reading about all the high tech layoffs in the area...)
and I think you would need these things:

a database with a table of routes, and a table of stops for each route
(by grid coordinates possibly, or some other way that will indicate
stops on one route that overlap a stop on another)
a vector (or bitmap) map, of course, for the background
movieclips of each entire route line

When the user clicks the start, you look for the closest bus stop and
when they click the stop you do the same. If both points are on the
same route, you display the corresponding bus route mc, masked with a
rectangle that goes from start-busstop x,y to stop-busstop x,y so only
the relevant part shows. If they're on different routes, you have to
look for an intersecting point (that's where the backend logic gets
nasty, I think, especially if you have more than 2 routes) and then dump
the appropriate segments of mc's as above if found. It does sound like
a complicated undertaking, but an interesting one.

Regards,
Helen
1210 Flash Answers from 416 people: http://i-technica.com/flashlist