Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash - barrier to entry?
From: Matt Irwin
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 20:04:37 GMT

>Hi everyone,
>
>I just joined the list today and I have what I hope is a simple
question.

>I'm reasonably new to Flash and have had the opportunity to bid on a
couple
>of jobs. The most recent of which I was turned down because they said
that
>Flash had too much of a "barrier to entry".
>
>Basically I was supposed to create an animated menu system for a site.
The
>barrier, according to the client, was the plug-in issue.
>
>Can anyone point me to any good articles that could bolster my position
when
>this issue comes up again? I did some research and found some numbers
on
>the amount of 3.0 and 4.0+ browsers out there, but I think it would be
good
>if I had more information about ease of installation, file size
advantages,
>Flash as an open standard, etc. etc.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Paul

Hey,

I can't provide you with any articles I can think of, but as I'm sure
you know Flash is very well distributed. My solution, as others have
posted, would be to use a Flash detection script and some form of
alternate image w/ an image map. Aftershock will generate this code,
which is ok, but it never seems to make the image right (at least in my
version) so I export images straight from flash. While Aftershock does
work, I would recommend writing or getting a better script yourself
because the code I've gotten from aftershock has done some weird stuff.
I also wanted to point out you can write script that will install the
plug-in when people come to the site, I know this works with IE,
although I'm not sure about Netscape, and Aftershock will do this as
well. I hope this is some fuel for your fire, or future fires.

Matt Irwin
mattattechnomarketing [dot] com
black_scarabathotmail [dot] com