Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash - barrier to entry?
From: Daniel Votino
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 01:52:46 GMT

Happy New Year to all.

I am new to this list. Have been reading all your great questions and
answers. Now I have one myself. I have a strange anomoly perhaps someone
here has encountered and might be able to explain?

On a fresh install the other day of Windows 98 I went to a Flash 3 site I
designed . . . www.thesurefoundation.org and got a blank blue screen.
I was attempting to view it through IE 4. It is viewable on all other
computers in my office with both Netscape and IE. It has always seemed to
load correctly when being the first internet visit of new computers for this
project.

So I then went to www.olympic.org to see if it just wasn't calling for the
Active X file correctly. Th olympic site worked but I noticed it did not
use an Active X. It must have been Java since there was still no Active X
program downloaded to my windows directory for Shock.

I then tried Macromedia's site and it gave me the standard html site and not
the flashed site as it does normally if you dont have shock installed.

So I tried www.beatstream.com where it proceeded to download the Active X
file for me. I then went back to the site I designed and it worked. So I
then took the downloaded Active X file out of my windows directory and
again, went to the site I had worked on. It then proceeded to download the
Active X file again and worked fine.

Any takers?
Thank you,

Daniel