Subject: FLASH: Speed vs. Size (was:getting a bit confused !)
From: Adam Bruce
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:22:19 GMT

>I and others have many examples of things on the Web with 3 levels of
>Nesting. Check out the Score where I use 4 deep nested Movie Clips.
>That is graphics nested inside a Movie Clip which is nested inside a
>Movie Clip, inside another Movie Clip, which is inside a Movie Clip on
>the Main stage.
>
>The same animation plays the same when it is a simple 2 deep nested
>Movie clip even on slower computers.
>
>----------- -----------------------
>John Croteau

John,
I'll start off at the begining and basicly cover some stuff I cover
in my Flash class. When constructing a movie, as it gets more and more
complicated, you'll discover you have multiple ways of showing the same
animation. In the end though you're generally presented with the option
of making it small (File Size) and slow (Frames Per Second) or big(File)
and fast(Frame Per Second). Tweening and Nesting are two things that
decrease size but increase processor overhead. By Nesting one tween in
side of another it does give you more flexibility to move pre-existing
animations on stage But eventually it slows the proceesor down. AS an
example of this I have a Throttle linkage Assembly I did for an E2
Hawkeye training CD. IT has multiple tweens as pushrods actuate bell
cranks and idlers to move the Rudder assembly from STBD to Port. I
would show this animation to you but I know you refuse to look at
anything on my website so I'll give you an exmaple easier to visualize.
Imagine you have an animation of a finger starting off at 90 degrees
rotating up to 180 degrees and back to 90 degrees. you did this as a
tween, you then attach this symbol to a duplicate until you get a whole
chain of fingers that spiral in like a spring and unwind like a chord,
all the while Nesting one inside of the other. Once you get about 4
levels deep it starts to bog significantly. By moving the entire
animation out of the symbol and onto the stage you significantly
increase filesize, but the computer no longer has to rememebr multiple
over laying tweens, and thus your frame rate increases. If you wanted
to go one step further to increase speed, select the tween frames,
select "insert Keyframe" to convert the tween frames to actual key
frames, remove the tween, and you get the same effect with half the
proceesor overhead (But increased file size of blank tween frames vs
keyframes) This is particularly evident on shape morphs with large
fills, however it significantly increases file size. With the E2
Hawkeye Rudder Lesson we tried the linkage twenty different ways to try
to increase frame rate, but the only thing that worked was moving
animations out fo the symbols and onto the stage. The final product was
deemed unacceptable "boggy" so we converted the whole thing to an AVI
(Which is a shame as the final SWF file was 150 KB while the AVI was 45
Megs, OTOH it was delivered on a CD-Rom, so it was probably beter as an
AVI anyways). I work with Flash on a daily basis for both Military
Contracting and Telecomunications training software, and my typical
movie has Nested symbols sometimes as much as 10 and 15 layers deep. We
try to avoid using these as much as possible because they tend to bog
significantly despite being simple and small in file size. It's just
alot of different time lines and tweens for the computer to try and keep
track of at one time.

-Adam