Subject: Re: Learing HTML (was: Branden Hall. FLASH: A solution to zippedfiles on Mac's!)
From: Angelique Gulermovich Epstein
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:26:23 GMT

It's kind of funny to see people so worried about learning HTML on a list
devoted to a fairly difficult app like FLASH. Don't be afraid of it; you
can pickup a fair working knowledge of HTML very quickly. Just be sure to
start with *basics*, don't jump feet first into cascading style sheets or
DHTML. (The Visual Quickstart Guide is a good place to start.) And don't
try learning HTML within a WYSIWYG editor. Use a text editor.

Once you know even a little HTML, the best tool (I'm assuming you're on a
Mac from the discussion) is BBEdit. (You can get BBEdit lite for free all
over the place, but it's the BBEdit you have to pay for that has the really
hepful HTML features.) It is *not* a WYSIWYG editor, it's a text editor,
but it has all sorts of really neat functions that really help. (When I
first got it it cut my HTML time in half. Really.)

WYSIWYG editors are just not a good idea for serious web development. They
throw a lot of glorp into the code that can be a big problem for
cross-browser and cross-platform compatability. You can always generate
code wherever you like, though, so that you can visualize it quickly, and
then clean up the HTML

Angel

>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:17:36 -0800
>From: Byron Canfield <barnatbyronc [dot] com>
>Subject: Re: Branden Hall. FLASH: A solution to zipped files on Mac's!
>
>There's no substitute for knowing HTML, though. Even DreamWeaver, though it
>does a lot, will not do everything, and, at some point, on some file,
>you'll need to tweak the HTML.
>
>At 01:14 AM 1/6/99 +1100, you wrote:
>>Get yourself a copy of Dreamweaver and create some REAL pages!!!!

<snip>

>>>I've just got the basics together but I'm having real problems with my html
>>>layout programe. I'm currently using Claris Homepage 3.0 to do my basic
>>>layouts but it's really limited - is there any thing thats better or would
>>>you advise knuckling down and learning html code?
>>>
>>>Thanks alot
>>>
>>>Jake

Web Designer,
Humanities Computing Facility