Subject: FLASH: RE: Learning HTML (now: Dreamweaver)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:48:44 GMT

Roger Smith wrote:
> Cold Fusion is awesome. I think you need to have
> the hand building expertise

Or use Dreamweaver 2. On the CD it has readymade ColdFusion objects... you
can design data-driven sites in a visual environment.

Keith Robinson wrote, in part:
> The [Dreamweaver] code is usually fairly clean (being a coder and
> accessibility person it's not clean enough, and I have to tweak
> the HTML afterwards almost every time, not too much....but c'est la vie.)

Keith, have you explored the control you have over default formatting in
Dreamweaver 2.0 yet? It was possible to control this a bit in DW1.x, but
2.0 adds quite a bit more here. I'm not sure what types of edits you're
making, but you may be able to front-load them and have the tool apply your
desired formatting itself.

First place to check is the preferences dialog. There are deeper levels of
control if you edit the "SourceFormat.profile" file directly.

Handy tip: If you get some messy HTML from someone else, then you can
usually do an excellent job of fixing it with three different processes:
-- Use "tables to layers" and back again to clean tables (with optional
layer snapping if the table has 1-pixel rows)
-- Use the "Clean Up HTML" command to remove unused or redundant tags
-- Use the "Apply Source Formatting" command to format the entire
document in your preferred style.

Sidenote: In version 2.0, Dreamweaver has broken from the pack... it's no
longer just an editor, but more a high-powered development platform for web
professionals. Still does HTML editing, sure, but there's a *very* rich
world in there...!

jd

Public discussions have first claim on support time; but private email
is available via Priority Access: http://www.macromedia.com/support/