Subject: Re: FLASH: HOLY MOLY sound files are massive!!!
From: Chris
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:36:09 GMT

Al Rosetti wrote:

> HOLY MOLY!!! Even the tiniest wave files are ending up 7 to 8 hundred K!
> I don't have to tell you guys that's completely unacceptable. Is there a
> better format than Wav for Flash? If not, do you guys use any addtional
> programs to compress your wav files?

Unfortunately, soundfiles are massive (compared to vector / flash art)

1 minute Stereo 16 bit 44k = 10MB

so even 15 seconds would be 2-3 MB

now half all that --> 15 Sec. Mono 8 bit 22k = 400k

each cut in half you make halves file size ...

1 min again = 10MB ... now make it mono = 5MB ... now halve the sample rate to
22k = 2.5MB

now make it 10 seconds = approx. 400k

5 sec and down to 8 bit = 100k

I'm sure when compressing to SWF ... that gets cut down even more

There's a program called (I believe) Wave Convert that does an excellent job
of converting and "compressing" sound files to make them sound thier best.
It's sort of like the Media Cleaner Pro for Sound files.

cheers

(sorry, no flash at my site yet)

g o t c h a g r a p h i c s d o t c o m