Subject: RE: FLASH: A word about tutorials
From: Unger, Russell
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 03:11:52 GMT

Hi Tim...

I will spare the bandwidth of your very detailed dissertation...

However, I feel somewhat compelled to give you a response, even though I am
not one of the "tutorial" types.

Tim, the web-based information you are receiving is FREE. FREE--that means
that the call you paid for to Macromedia that pointed out the "mistake" at
Flashzone was correcting FREE information.

Tim, I don't want to tell you what to do, and this list is a free service to
all of us who enjoy Flash, toy with Flash, make our livings with Flash or
who just like to pester and be pestered by John Croteau. Farbeit for ANY of
us to look our proverbial gift-horse in the mouth by throwing out a rant
that basically iterates our distaste or dissatisfaction with a FREE tutorial
(I'd more or less call it advice from someone who's "been there").
Furthermore, and this is unfortunate, yet true, the majority of the people
using Flash, IMHO are probably 20 years younger than you, at a minimum, and
you will certainly find "generation gap" within the texts that you are
finding. Apologies abound if I'm insulting you and/or your intelligence,
but it really apriori's my flummox that you, or anyone, could go so far as
to openly state your distaste to the free advice.

Perhaps I'm a bit carried away, but when I walk in my door and see someone
slamming, or taking a shot at a group of persons that have pulled my fat out
of the fire--sometimes as early/late as 4am and in extreme
circumstances--more than once, I get a little perturbed. Sure, they're all
faceless gnomes (j/k) to me, but I'd appreciate if your next post be
something similar to "Hey, guys, thanks for the list--I really appreciate
the open forum; however, I am having some difficulties with Mr. X's tutorial
and I was wondering if anyone could assist me as I am faultering more than I
might like to".

Of course, as usual, that's just my opinion. Good luck with your Flash
endeavors.

Russell E. Unger

Modern Business Technology
1300 E. Woodfield Road, Suite 302