Subject: Re: FLASH: caching .swf's?
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:57:40 GMT

Hi Daniel,

> At least I think thats what you were asking. I am working on a movie right
> now that loads 6 different movie clips in the first scene of the movie, all
> to be used for different things during the course of the movie.
> that isnt reading this reply, if one is loading swf files in the first scene
> and wants to make a preloader based upon the completion of each movie
> loaded, will it work on the same principle? The reason I ask is because the
> "size report" that gets generated for the parent movie does not reflect the
> true kb size of those frames which movies are being loaded to. (it does not
> see the swf files being loaded and their sizes.

You should be using Movie Clips in the same movie not Load Movie if you
need these all of these Movies. Load Movies are completely independent
and load when they load. Just like gifs if you load 6 swf files it will
vary on which ones will load first. If you need all 6 then make them one
swf file.
Use Load Movie for random access and load a new movie with when it is
needed or just before. There are exceptions to this rule but handling
becomes very complicated since you should check each movie to see if it
has loaded (or loaded to your target point) then Tell Target that
information to a central movie to control the basic operation. It is
best to Load one movie at a time (possibly a second one when you are
near the end of the first).