Subject: Re: FLASH: caching .swf's?
From: Daniel Votino
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:20:38 GMT

Hi John,

My ignorance is shining through in brilliant colors on this flash list. lol
I have a question regarding the below then.

Am I correct to assume from your reply that I can place a movie CLIP on a
keyframe instead of loading it as a new layer, have it be at Stop Action on
its first frame like I would the Loaded Movie and then Tell Target that
movie clip to somewhere else on its own time line from later on in the
Parent movie and not upset the flow and forward motion of the parent movie?
In otherwords, can I call say, a button or trigger a sound lodged inside
that movie clip (that never played when it was first loaded way back) now
from somewhere else in the movie? Not sure if Ive stated that clear or
not!?

~Daniel

John wrote:

You should be using Movie Clips in the same movie not Load Movie if you
need these all of these Movies. Load Movies are completely independent
and load when they load. Just like gifs if you load 6 swf files it will
vary on which ones will load first. If you need all 6 then make them one
swf file.

Use Load Movie for random access and load a new movie with when it is
needed or just before. There are exceptions to this rule but handling
becomes very complicated since you should check each movie to see if it
has loaded (or loaded to your target point) then Tell Target that
information to a central movie to control the basic operation. It is
best to Load one movie at a time (possibly a second one when you are
near the end of the first).