Subject: Re: FLASH: Ie 4.5 for Mac
From: Charlene Reese
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:26:17 GMT

On 1/15/99, John Dowdell wrote:
>At 4:31 PM 1/15/99, Charlene Reese wrote:
>>I just installed MIE 4.5 for Mac and two flash sites (my only flash sites)
>>that worked just fine in the previous version now display only a blank
>>page. Not even the alternate <NOSCRIPT> or <NOEMBED> options. And now I
>>am getting a javascript error on one of them that I never got before.
--->flash central got the same js error

>A good test is whether that browser can view a variety of other sites. If
>so, then you can test the JS/HTML for the particular page that's balking.
>If not, then checking into the browser's plugin would be fruitful.
--->I don't have the plug-in yet cause I wanted to see what new IE4.5 users
would see on a new install. I thought Flash was supposed to be standard
equipment by now but it isn't in this scenerio. So before I install the
plugin I'd like to make sure that I have a back up that works and at least
displays a still image.
I read the tech note about IEMac not being plugin-detectable so what is the
answer? I guess I need to have a js that will send users to another page or
doc.write the img html if nothing else works. Anyone else have a sucessful
script to share?
-charlene

>(Running with the new IE4.5/Mac is on my plate, but I haven't yet got it on
>my own machines, regrets.)
>
>Sidenote: The NOSCRIPT and NOEMBED tags should only be rendered if the
>browser is incapable of using scripts or embeds... modern browsers are able
>to use scripts and embeds, and so modern browsers will ignore content
>within NOSCRIPT and NOEMBED tags.
> (Rephrased, those tags are not invoked just because a particular plugin
>is not installed.)
>
>jd
>

>John Dowdell, Macromedia Tech Support, San Francisco CA US
>Search technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
>Public discussions have first claim on support time; but private email
>is available via Priority Access: http://www.macromedia.com/support/

Charlene Reese - S r T e U e D s I e O
Digital Graphic Design for Print, Multimedia and the Web
catreesestudio [dot] net http://www.reesestudio.net
949.766.7822