Subject: FLASH: Newby Q: Flash 3-- Transparency & file formats
From: Jim Butler
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:18:33 GMT

I recently purchased Flash 3 to use as a work-around to the limitations
of animated gifs. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to make my flash
movies transparent. Or the proper format to save the movies in.

1. I have created the animation setting the alpha to 100% of the color
that I want to be transparent.
2. Then I export the movie as a shockwave file.
3. When I put the movie into a web page it is not transparent.

I have two questions.

First, is there such a thing as a flash movie that works in html? If I
do a simple save, it saves as a flash movie., but I cannot get this to
work in a browser. Is the "flash movie" file an actual format that works
in html or is it just the way to save the file and then you export it to
shockwave for the actual movie.

Second, whether the actual finished product is a "flash" movie or
shockwave movie how can I get it to have a transparent background to
work like an animated gif?

I know these are pretty basic and simple questions, but I have read
through the whole book and cannot figure this out. Also, can someone
recommend a good book on Flash that better explains how the program
works.

Thanks,

--
Jim Butler