Subject: Re: FLASH: How to blur an object?
From: Barry Baker
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:06:09 GMT

Scott Barker wrote:

> I'm trying to do a scene that tweens from a heavily blurred object to the
> same object in an unblurred state. The closest I can come is generating an
> animated gif in Fireworks and importing each of the steps into individual
> frames.
>
> Is there an easier way?

I did this recently by generating just one blurred version of my original
bitmap file (in paintshop pro) and importing both versions as jpegs into a
Flash symbol.

1) Let`s say the blurred is frame 1 of the symbol, and the original frame 2.
Go to Edit Movie and set the number of frames over which the transition should
occur.
2) Insert the symbol into the first frame and copy it at the same size to the
last frame. (Flash will naturally set the symbol at frame 1, the blurred
frame)
3) Set the instance properties of the last frame to Color effect/Alpha/0%
4) Set the frame properties of the first frame to Tweening/Motion. The blurred
image will now fade out over the length of the scene.
5) Insert a new layer underneath and paste the copy of the symbol into the
first frame (just to ensure it is in exactly the same position) and change its
instance properties to frame 2, the original version. Now the blurred version
dissolves into the sharp one.

It`s not exactly the transformation you intended, but its pretty effective,
and only entails the viewer downloading a couple of jpegs, thus keeping the
filesize down.

Barry Baker