Subject: Re: FLASH: what is tracing?
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:20:38 GMT

Hi Dave,

> Could someone enlighten me - I've checked the book and the online help
> topics but I can't find any reference to tracing.
Page 75 in the Book.

> Say I wanted to trace the outline of an object imported from a 3D
> package using Flash - what tools would I use and what would I do?
Yan can either hand trace or use an automated trace in a program.
Several programs including Adobe Streamline and Flash include a trace
function.
In Flash:
To trace a bitmap Modify > Bitmap
Then delete unneeded background.
Next Select All and fill with a color.
Then apply the ink bottle and apply an outline.
Delete the interior fill and you have an outline.

There are two ways to keep the number of line segments down so file size
will me minimum.
1) While you are converting from vectors there are setting.
2) Afterwards there is Modify > Curves > Optimize.
Both might require you to make compromizes between shape and size.
Sometimes it is easier just to hand trace.