Subject: Re: FLASH: database to Flash
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:57:56 GMT

OK, I guess I'm stuck. I set up Personal Web Server on my computer to be
able to study ASP and Flash. I don't have a database available, so thought
I would try the "Excel as a data source" trick and I have set up a
spreadsheet as a data source in the ODBC configuration (set up as System
DSN). However, and this is the confusing part to me so I am not sure even
how to ask....

How do I set it up to be a data source on my "server"? I don't seem to be
connecting to it from the browser side? I put the spreadsheet, Flash &
html, and ASP page on the "server" at C:\webshare\wwwroot\ and I can access
by typing http://localhost/filename.html. I did tests earlier to make sure
I can run ASP that way, and I do see the html page & execute the Flash movie
from there. But I don't think it's connecting to the "database" and I think
it is because I don't have it set up correctly. I pointed to the file in
the ODBC setup as C:\webshare\wwwroot\excelsheet.xls and it just doesn't
seem like that would be correct... If it IS correct, then I probably just
don't refer to it correctly in the ASP page. I start out the page
<%
'Open the connection in the usual manner
Set Connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set Recordset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Connection.Open "people"

....where "people" is what I've named the ODBC data source.

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
"Developing your internet storefront"