Subject: Re: << 3D Compatibility >>
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:17:03 +0100

Kevin and all,

Vector solutions, note they may not include surfaces as these may be
bitmaps or just plain not exported.

Rhino as AI > Flash
No surfaces.

3D Studio Max (EPS) > Illustrator or Freehand (etc.)(as AI) > Flash

Still looking for a alternate vector solution(s).

The problem with DXF is the 3D version of DXF is composed of multiple
views and not visualized as a perspective when imported into 2D
programs.

The EPS to AI to Flash route is fairly good, I've used it but not with
3D Max (which I don't have). Nothing is perfect but this is much
superior to converting bitmaps to vectors.

Problems converting AI, WMF and EPS to Flash
Slight aspect ratio changes on fine details
(small circles slightly out of round)
Fills not matching Outlines exactly. Usually only noticeable on
small items but adds to file size since a perfect line outline adds
nothing to file size in Flash.

DXF (2D) - Perfect geometry when imported into Flash but no fills.

DXF (3D) - Imports only one view (not a perpective) of a 3D object, not
very useful.