Subject: FLASH: <OT> Any NT gurus have any advice???
From: Scott D. LeMieux
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:23:36 +0100

(Sorry for the way off topic post. Just looking for as much advice as I
can get.)

OK. Here is the scenario. Visited CNET's top 25 web hosts site and
decided I would try Express Technologies also known as Half Price
Hosting (they also happen to be a member of the Web Host Guild), for a
small web site I am designing for a client.

Before signing up, I called there tech support to find out what version
of perl they were running and if I had full and complete access to
cgi-bin and if I could get permissions set on NT machines (need NT for
ASP). They gave me all the correct answers, so I signed up. Then the
problems began.

For testing, I first put this simple perl script in my cgi-bin.
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/plain\n";
print "\n";
print "hello world! by perl\n";

Received the error:"...server could not process script..."

Then I put in a simple cgi script
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello world.\n";

Received the error
"%1 is not a valid Windows NT application"

Called tech support and they told me everything was fine and my scripts
were faulty, even though I could run them on my Win98 machine will
activeperl.

I asked them to check it out and turns out perl was
not correctly mapped. I asked them to map cgi the same way they did perl
and they
told me mapping for cgi does not need to be done. I asked them to amuse
me and map
cgi anyway and they suggested I change all my scripts to .pl and that it
was
impossible to map cgi. (They are running NT IIS4.0)

Please correct me if I am wrong!!! All they need to do is map .cgi to
D:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s and check their Win32 registry. A very simple
fix, Right? Then the next
time they reboot there servers all should be well.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would
greatly appreciate it. I will let everyone know how this turns out. In
the meantime, let me
strongly suggest you STAY FAR AWAY FROM Express Technologies also known
as Half
Price Hosting

Thanks in advance. (and sorry for the long post)

Scott LeMieux