Subject: Re: FLASH: Link to SWF and label
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:19:40 +0100

At 02:42 PM 7/2/99 +0100, you wrote:

>So my question is this, can you somehow using the Hawaii map FScommand
>technology (which I am currently using) but call a HTML page containg a
>.swf into a frame, lets say the bottom frame for example and then goto a
>specific frame in the movie you have loaded.

The limitation is that you cannot command a Flash movie to go to a
particular frame until that frame has loaded. Also, you cannot use If Frame
Is Loaded to test one movie from another. But you can have the newly
Frame Is Loaded. Meanwhile the movie can be parked in a blank frame. When
it is loaded to where it needs to be, it can let the first movie (in the
other frame) know that it's ready, and the first movie can then command it
(via FS Command and JS) to go to the appropriate frame. You would do this
by triggering a stalled movie clip in the first movie; the movie clip would
be told to play, and in doing so it would issue the proper command to the
new movie.

Obviously, the only reason for this setup, rather than just creating the
second movie to start with the frame you're calling, is if that second
movie is loaded in various situations and needs to start in different
frames according to when and where it's loaded from. In that case, the
second movie can be set up with as many If Frame Is Loaded conditions as
are required by the various situations in which it is loaded, and the
result of each If Frame action would be to communicate with a different
movie (the movie that loaded it). Hence it would send out a bunch of
communications that would be "lost" (because their targets are missing) and
one communication that would be received (by the movie that made the load
call). Make sure you don't generate JS errors with those "lost"
communications, however.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.