Subject: Re: FLASH: newbie here!
From: Kartik Sheth
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 21:45:06 +0100

mucho gracias!!
i had looked everywhere for dynamic resizing and coudnt find that anywhere
and as for the second question, my knowledge of javascript is limited and i
was more keeen on learning flash first!

thanks a ton!! the url seems to be able to help me out!
kartik

At 02:06 AM 7/4/99 , you wrote:
>At 11:52 PM 7/3/99 +0530, you wrote:
>>hi there.
>> just joined the mailing list so i'm not really sure how it works.. just
>>mail ur ideas and queries to the address and it auto fwds it to all??
>
>That's right -- the listserve takes care of that. Just send new messages to
>flasheratshocker [dot] com. For replies, just use your mail program's reply
>feature, which will preserve the subject header. We encourage postings to
>be of direct relevance to Flash, however an occasional off-topic posting is
>fine (for example, a question about server configurations, or hardware
>conflicts) -- just preface the subject with <OT> (off-topic) so those of us
>who use filters can decide to filter <OT>'s if we wish to.
>
>Welcome to the list, by the way. Any and all level questions are usually
>welcome, however it's nice if you do what homework you can before calling
>on the list for help. You'll notice lots of references to online help and
>tutorial sites. By all means check them out and bookmark them, they have
>information not documented elsewhere. I have no official capacity on this
>list, but my advice is to not feel bad about asking for help when you're
>truly stuck, and just ignore the occasional RTFM remarks as long as you've
>tried to figure it out and have done the basic tutorials that Macromedia
>provides with the program.
>

>>1. it is possible to dynamically resize a movie? for example have a full
>>screen intro to the site from where it reduces to a frame from where i can
>>lauch htm pages.
>
>Not that I know of. You could fake it by matching the movie background
>color to the background of the HTML page, but the movie would still occupy
>the original movie size even though you might make it take up less of the
>Flash stage. An alternative is to use Get Url at the end of the intro movie
>to call a new page into the same frame or window, and put your smaller
>navigational movie on that new page. This of course is not a seamless as
>using just one Flash movie.
>>
>>2. how do i get a movie in a frame to control another movie in another
frame?

>Through FS Command and JavaScript (hence, limited to JS-supporting
>browsers). See http://www.flashcentral.com/Tech/HawaiiMap/ for a demo with
>downloadable sample files and a decent explanation of what's going on.
>

>>besides all this i'm purely a techie at heart and i take to making this
>>kinda stuff easily enough.. but im' horrid when it comes to colour schemes
>>and imaginative animations.. any place or resources for the 'creatively
>>challenged'!!??
>
>Some surfing should locate design-oriented sites for you. I don't have URLs
>offhand. But another approach is to look critically at the sites you like,
>and do what any student of painting would do -- copy the masters. Not
>ripping them off, mind you, but experimenting with their palettes or their
> [...]

July 3, 1999
Internal combustion engines are the dinosaurs' revenge
Why is "easy listening" so hard to listen to?
Does the Enterprise use DOS v 2356.0?