Subject: Re: FLASH: Tyro question
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 16:34:06 +0100

> I have seen many
> animations, but dont know if they are Shocks or Flashes,

You can tell which are which by checking the extension name. Flash files are
.swf and Director files are .dcr You should be able to see the extension
when start to download the file, or view source for the page, or with
Netscape you can check under View/Page Info and it will tell you the
extensions for everything on the page.

> What is the difference between Shockwave Interned Studio ($500)

This is Director. I don't know where you're getting that price though. MM's
web site lists Director 7 Shockwave Internet Studio as $999.00. If you know
where to get it for $500, or I'm misunderstanding what it says on the site,
please let me know, because that sounds like a great deal :)

> and...
>
> Flash 3 ???. ($280)

The download and purchase version of Flash 4 (4 is the new one :) is $269.
The CD version is $299.00

Differences. I've never used Director so others are going to be able to
answer you better, but generally speaking Director has its own full
programming language (Lingo), so it is much more flexible, and has
multi-user capabilities built in. With the new Flash 4, you can now do quite
a bit more with just Flash and I don't think we're finished discovering
exactly how much, so that may be why you're finding the answer to your
question somewhat obscure. As I understand it, if you want multiuser
capabilities, if your presentations are likely to be on CD rather than the
web, if you need to do a lot of complex game-type (or data-base type?)
actions, you would probably be better off with Director.

> I need to have interactive animations with relative realistic looking
> backgrounds and moving parts (as opposed to cartoony looking) with
> clickable areas to attach behaviors or sounds and be able to send a client
> to various URLs depending on what is clicked as in an image map.

Interactive animations, clickable areas to attach actions and sounds and
image maps are no problem in Flash. The realistic looking, as opposed to
cartoony, moving parts you may find more of a problem. Vector graphics have
a tendency to be somewhat cartoony; exactly how much depends, really, on how
you draw/create it, and what you consider cartoony :). Bitmap images only
really work well in Flash if you do not animate them. If you choose to use a
bitmap and give it moving parts, it slows down the movie considerably.

> Can one take a bitmapped graphic and turn it into a vector graphic that can
> be used in an animation?

Yes. There are several methods for doing this. Flash has a trace bitmap
function which works well on small, not terribly complex images. If the
image is very complex, the vector will save you less. You can hand trace,
which requires quite a bit of time, eye-hand coordination, and ability, but
in my opinion works really well. You can also use an outside program such as
Adobe Streamline to turn bitmaps into vectors quickly (it'll do batches
even), which can be very handy in some instances, or import vectors from
Freehand or Illustrator which I have heard people have good luck with. I've
just started using streamline and am finding it works well for importing
outlines for frame-by-frame type animations. I can then add gradiants,
fills, or whatever else I want in Flash :)

> Can a Flash or Shock file (I still dont know the difference) be put in a
> layer over another graphic?

I'm not sure I understand this question. A static bitmap behind a vector
animation is not really a problem in Flash. You import the image and put it
in a 'background' layer and as long as you don't try to animate it, there's
really not a problem. Some people have exported Flash files with
transparancy, so the image on the html page shows through, but I believe
this only works in MSIE 4+

> Do my questions make any sense?

I think I understood most of them, except the last. If it weren't for the
question of animating 'non-cartoony' images, I would say go with Flash
unreservedly. It doesn't sound like you need the more complicated aspects of
the Director language. I don't know though, how well Director deals with
animating photorealistic images, and if that need can justify the cost for
you. Hopefully someone else will tell you that :)

Laura