Subject: Re: FLASH: MC vs. timeline question
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 05:05:15 +0100

Hi Ulrich,

> I just finished the tutorial from the manual. Are there some objective
> reasons to go with movieclips for navigation rather than having
> conditions set up for jumps in the time line (with quasi-scenes)?

Are Movie Clips (MCs) better than the straight timeline?

> Faster?
No, may even inhibit streaming if not done correctly.

> Smaller?
No, there is a small overhead for making movie clips and shared items
should be removed from MCs and placed on the main timeline. I often have
many common objects represented inside my MCs on Guide layers, so I can
see them even though they won't be exported as part of the MC.

> Easier?
No, MCs are more difficult except for the most experianced Flash
developers. Movie Clips can give you the some of same modular separation
as scenes, so layout and structure can be easier to understand.
Modifactions are often easier since things are more modular.

However, using movie clips is a lot more difficult for someone who use
of Tell Target is not second nature. Many expert Flashers use MCs as
Scenes quite simply because it provides very good story line structure,
a more manageable timeline, modular replacement of components and all
this without the many problems associated with Scenes in Flash.
http://www.FlashBible.com/members/MovieClips/AsScenes.htm

Scenes can provide good structure and make group work easier, but the
definition and subsequent limitations of Scenes in Flash prevent their
use by most advanced Flash designers.